 Robotics / Palm Computing / 59
Re: Which Palm?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:13:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.palm, Jeffrey Hazen writes:
The short answer is it doesn't really matter.....'cause none of the Palm or
Handspring units really work directly with the RCX.   If there is a Holy
Grail to this robotics/Palm group, it would be the successful programming
of the Palm IrDA port to speak fluent Lego Mindstorms.  Out of the box,
they are completely incompatible.  Now, let me qualify that....

Hmm. I had assumed I could programme the RCX using a palm (via the RIS
tower). However, after reading your post, and a good deal of the other 56
messages in this group, it appears this is not the case.

I already have a LEGO remote, so that will do me for now.

Thanks for your help.

Scott A

You can use any Palm/Handspring/Whatever as a learning remote by getting a
copy of Omni Remote from Pacific Neo-Tek   http://www.pacificneotek.com/
All this does however is mimic the commands that can come from the
Mindstorms remote control unit, and you'd need a remote to teach it.  That
was the dead link you mentioned from the Lugnet Palm page.  Mr. Eddings had
drawn a screen for the Omni Remote software, and programmed the buttons.

If you can program the Palm (and the SDK is available for free from Palm)
then you could attach the infra red tower to the serial port of your Palm
device, and use it that way.  That's what Mike Kory did in his programs
http://www.advancenet.net/~kory/pilot/

Now after all that, if you still wanted to get a Palm type device, I'd
recommend the Handspring Visor.  Less expensive, cool colors, and the
Springboard expansion port.  Mine's blue ;>)

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net