 Robotics / Palm Computing / 17
16  |  18
Subject:
Built-in IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:03:59 GMT

The problem with programming the built-in IR in the Palm is that one needs
to access and control the hardware directly. You can't use the normal
programming interfaces for controlling the IR. This requires an in-depth
knowledge of IR protocol and the hardware in the Palm. The Palm hardware may
change from one version to the next so that different programs would be
needed for the different models.

Mike.

This was posted in lugnet.robotics.rcx and I thought it might be useful
here:

The basic difference between PCs/PalmPilots/WinCE IR ports and the RCX is a
different physical transmission/modulation protocol. In the PC etc case the
commonly used format is described by the IrDa standard (www.irda.org) where
seperate IR pulses are used to transmit Bits. The RCX uses a  format
'loaned' from Remote controls where a IR carrier frequency is used to
transmit bits in a similar fashion to radio transmission (i.e. a missing
period in the carrier denotes a Bit).

This was posted in the lugnet.robotics.rcx:
The basic difference between PCs/PalmPilots/WinCE IR ports and the RCX is a
different physical transmission/modulation protocol. In the PC etc case the
commonly used format is described by the IrDa standard (www.irda.org) where
seperate IR pulses are used to transmit Bits. The RCX uses a  format
'loaned' from Remote controls where a IR carrier frequency is used to
transmit bits in a similar fashion to radio transmission (i.e. a missing
period in the carrier denotes a Bit).

However, I have seen applications where a PC was turned into a remote
control for TVs etc by programming the IR hardware directly. Obviously thats
HW dependant. Check the following links for more information:
http://www.ee.washington.edu/eeca/circuits/PCIR/Welcome.html
http://www.chambord-tech.com/
http://www.dodgies.demon.co.uk/FAQ/IrDa.html

Cheers
    Reimer

Brad Aisa <baisa@NOSPAMbrad-aisa.com> wrote in message
Hello,

Is it possible to use a PC's IR port, instead of the IR tower, to
communicate with an RCX?

(I have a Dell Inspiron 3500).

--
Brad Aisa