 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 65
RE: Custom firmware crashing on boot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:10:11 GMT

Here's two things to try since you've only swapped out the VM hich I
assume is a replacement for the "c_cmd.c" file.

1. First there is a "#define" that specifies the start address of the
file system. If you're 10K larger you're going to need to change this.

2. Next patch out all calls to your replacement VM. The easiest way to
do this is simply with a "return" inserted at the beginning of the
"cInit", 'cCtrl" and "cExit" functions in the "cCmd" extern structure.
This will completely disable your code and remove it from being
called. If you do this, and the compiler has a decent code optimizer,
your object file will be at least 10K (more like 20K) and you won't
have to figure out (1) to at least try this.

If you do above and it now works, then you now know where to look.

TO incrementally get your code functional, I would suggest the
following steps.
1. Use one of the PC based communications programs to ensure that USB
communications protocols are operational via the Fantom.dll. Any of
the NXT-G, RobotC or BricxCC IDEs will be able to do this for you;
they may hiccup part way through but if they work enough to get a few
of their initial messages through then it's reasonably confident that
the comms system is working -- they may hiccup on things like
mismatched versions or trying to use extended messages not in your
firmware.
2. Look at the file "m_sched.c" and you'll find how your code gets
executed by the "scheduler". Re-enable "cInit" function first and make
sure it works. Then un-patch "cCmd".
3. Figure out how to get some debugging traces working that puts stuff
on the LCD display.
4. Put some progress messages within c_cmd to tell you what's getting
executed.

Hope above helps.

If you get really stumped after trying above, and you've really only
changed "c_cmd'c", then send me your version of that fileand I'll
compile and load it with my IAR JTAG tools and I can tell you where
it's failing.