 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 51
Re: NXT Programming with C Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 14:03:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, Alexis Morris wrote:

does anyone know why plain C code can't just
compile and run on the NXT...

I suspect it could, but I'm not sure that's an approach you want to take. For
one thing, there's the question of how to address and handle all the special HW
that is attached to the ARM inside the NXT... and furthermore communicate with
the two other processors on-board, one that handles BT communication and another
that deals with the motor drivers. And then there's the LCD screen to address,
the buttons to decode, both analog and digital (I2C) sensors to handle, etc.
You'd have to have significant libraries carefully defined to handle all this,
and some of it (the aux processors, for instance) you're pretty much stuck with
what's on there.

In short, most of us are far too lazy and uneducated to make the NXT work at a
bare-metal level without the help of others smarter and more driven than
ourselves (thank you Dick, Ralph, John, Brian, and others for all these
wonderful 3rd party offerings!).

Additionally, the C-ish NXT programming options are
using the VM approach...

Another reason that a VM approach might be handy is it makes it very hard for
the end user to "brick" the NXT, locking it up into some inaccessible mode or
loop. With end users like me, VM approaches are very user-friendly.

--
Brian Davis