 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 44
Re: Building and downloading NXT firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 10:43:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, Thomas Baumhauer wrote:
Hello Hackers,

That's my first post to this group so I would like to introduce myself
shortly: I'm a 34 year old german who has studied computer science some
years ago. Being on the job for a few years I decided to go back to
the university to get a master degree in a evening school course.

At the moment I'm starting to write my master thesis - and that's why
I'm here:

I consider to replace the original firmware of the NXT with a version
that feels more like a Linux - or, if possible a real Linux.

What do you think about that idea? Would that be possible?

I also got some more concrete questions: Is there any documentation how
the original Lego firmware can be compiled and how the binary has to be
packed for downloading to the NXT?

I've had a look at the NXTGCC and NXTMOTE projects but I wasn't able to
find the needed information.
Thanks for trying: You need just to look at the NXTGCC project. You should
probably be able to start by reading nxt.pdf at
http://nxtgcc.sourceforge.net/
and then install
either the winarm or http://www.gnuarm.com/ toolchains.
Finally download the zip file from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=190694
and see if you can compile the ARM source.
When you have that working then you can start stripping the files and make your
preferred operating system take over NXT.
Good luck.
Rasmus

Can you give me a hint? Any help or suggestion would be appreciated...

Best,
Thomas