 Robotics / NXT / 938
RE: step-by-step tutorial leJOS and Eclipse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 03:46:00 GMT

Christoph Bartneck wrote on September 18, 2007 5:11 AM

We hope that his is helpful to you and maybe you can even report
back possible improvements.

I tried it and it was painless. I made a typo in entering the "Path"
field which took a while to figure out; otherwise it worked like a
charm.

Overall score: very good / satisfied. Please don't take the following
as criticism -- you asked for feedback for improvements.

I finished the sample program and wanted more. That's where I ran into
problems.

I modified source code and tried to upload to the NXT again. USB
transfer failed and the upload tried to automatically send via
Bluetooth. It took me a while to realize that I had to manually delete
the original file from the NXT file and that this was not performed
automatically as part of the upload process. Or at least this is what
I thought was happening.

The step-by-step instructions had a few instructions for customizing
Eclipse workspace to use NXJ and not standard JAVA tools. When I tried
to create my own workspace and source from scratch, I think I screwed
up and ended up having to redo the "customization". I think I was
probably confusing "workspace" and "project" and I should have been
creating the later.

I had not worked with Eclipse before. It has an enormous menu of
commands. I suspect many of them are irrelevant to NXJ. I found an
option to customize some of the commands under the "Customize
Perspective" menu but I wasn't sure which ones I could / should safely
uncheck. This would be a useful addition to the step-by-step to create
the "minimal" menus.

It looks like you can only customize some of Eclipse's menus. For
example, I couldn't find a way to remove the four "Debug" related menu
items which don't apply to NXJ.