 Robotics / NXT / 93
Re: Severe Case of Alkaline Battery Leakage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:30:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Danny Staple wrote:

This may also indicate a short. It may be prudent to take a multimeter
across the battery terminals in the battery box on the NXT before
putting any fresh batteries in.

If that is the case, I would strongly recommend returning the brick.
Shorts would be a bit of a nasty QA problem.

In terms of health and safety, not only may handling the leaked
alkaline be a bad idea, but shorted batteries can overheat and cause
fires, or even explode. Not good at all.

Danny

Too late for today, but I'll test with a multi-meter tomorrow.  First, I'll have
to ask the kids which NXT it was ... senior moments, y'know.

I grew up with zinc-carbon batteries, which leaked as well but were/are
relatively environmentally safe.  Nowadays, with all the exotics (meaning
"toxic" in most cases) the benefits of long-lasting batteries seem to make us
oblivious to the risks.  If it wasn't for a knowledge of a little chemistry from
college, I wouldn't have thought twice about the leak.  Now, I intend to always
make a point of it in class

As for the QA, I'm almost certain that these NXTs did not get much of a burn-in.
They came in recycled corrugated boxes typical of merchandize headed for low
cost Wal Mart.  Two of the 12 shipped were terribly smashed in transit.  It was
not very comforting to feel that we seemed to be getting very cheap stuff.