 Robotics / NXT / 823
Re: stop task
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:18:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:

I just noticed that there is no function to terminate
a task like nqc... Suggestion?

Using a global to flag out of a task is about the only (rather awkward) option I
know of. This is one of the things that I really have issues with under the
NXT-G FW.

It is not a rather awkward option, imho.  That's like saying breaking out of an
infinite loop using a flag is awkward and that it would be better to have some
form of stop loop keyword that you could use from outside the loop instead.

Is it ideal to have to set a flag?  No.  But it is extremely easy to implement
and it works very well.

There is, by the way, no such thing as the NXT-G FW (firmware).  It is the
standard NXT firmware not the NXT-G firmware.  Please try to not muddy the
waters in this regard.  NXT-G is the name of a programming language that targets
the standard NXT firmware but it is not the name of the firmware.  If you are
tempted to refer to the standard NXT firmware as the NXT-G firmware then ask
yourself what you called the RCX firmware.  I'm sure you did not call it the
LASM firmware or the MindScript firmware or the RIS or ROBOLAB firmware (or not
even the NQC firmware).

Thanks,

John Hansen