 Robotics / NXT / 680
Re: Wishlist for next pbLua Beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:29:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ralph Hempel wrote:
I'm getting stuck implementing some features for the next pbLua
release, and I'd like some opinions on what is really necessary...

1. Filesystem (storing chunks and data at NXT)

I'm looking at this now. Files to be stored in FLASH.

This is getting uglier and more complicated than I like. By the
time I add a simple FAT12 file system, and link in the standard
Lua IO library, the code size is getting big and I'm not sure
there's much real benefit.
What is the size of code ? I think we need a very small filesystem only.
If we can store 32kB it is enough, we didn't want to store MP3 !

I could do a very simple file system that lets you load a block
of FLASH memory to read a directory, and then after that reading
files is a bit easier.

The downside is that you may have to "prepare" a set of files
on your host machine then download them in bulk to save changes.

It's not the best solution, but I need to compromise between
complexity, code size, and getting SOMETHING that looks like
a file system into the FLASH.

2. Console via BT (I hate autonomous robots with cable)

Not too hard to do as long as you don't want to stream data
to other robots at the same time...

I think I need a menu item to select either the Bluetooth or
the USB as the default console. Or maybe even easier would be
one firmware with Bluetooth console and one with USB as the
default.

What about pressing a button at boot to switch console ?
e.g if pressed <enter> ==> BlueTooth else USB
Other way: if special flag-file at filesystem is detected, use
BlueTooth...(needs filesystem)...

Two versions are not good for support :D

3. Audio e.g nxt.PlayTone(freq)

I'll look at adding at least tones soon.

Is everyone going to be happy with just tones?

4. Display extensions (nxt.DisplayText(x,y,string)

Done for Beta4 (not yet released) (0,0) is top left corner of screen
and text. Put text at bottom line is nxt.DisplayText(string,0,56)

At least that's doable and done.

5. return value of print(_version) should be "pbLua 5.1 internal
version), this
makes it easier to develop and test code at the PC and later run at NXT

Done in Beta4

This too...

6. More samples of currently implemented functions (I've prepared
some and can
add it to distribution)

I'll publish any sample I get. I got your revised line follower, thanks!

EIA-485 Highspeed support :D

This may also be in the next Beta. I'm testing out the 485 right now...

WOW, waiting for your release :D

Christian