 Robotics / NXT / 589
Re: Running NBC/NXC on a Mac (OSX)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:05:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Brian Davis wrote:
Assume I'm an idiot. As many will tell you here, this is at many times a
reasonably safe assumption. Yes, I know who you are, stop snickering.

How do I work NBC/NXC under OSX? When I download the latest package and
double-click the app, it opens the terminal window and immediately exits, so I
probably need to invoke it from a default terminal window... but how? What are
the options, and how do I invoke them... and where are they listed? The "Read
me" talks about the API for NXC, not how to actually work the application under
OSX.

Help! I think we need NBC for the clueless newbie (raising hand timidly).

Here's a really simple way to use NBC/NXC on a Mac:

http://www.degrunt.org/articles/2007/01/10/drag-drop-nbc-nxc-to-rxe

If you want to execute the compiler yourself then you just open a terminal
window, change directory to your source code path, and execute nbc like this:

nbc program.nbc -O=program.rxe

or

nbc program.nxc -O=program.rxe

If you execute NBC with -help it will list its command line options.

nbc -help

If the nbc executable is not in a directory on your system path then you will
need to put the right path to the executable in front of the executable name.
Like this:

./nbc program.nbc -O=program.rxe

or

/usr/local/nbc/nbc program.nbc -O=program.rxe

or

../bin/nbc program.nxc -O=program.rxe

If the include files are not in the same directory as the source code or the nbc
executable then you will have to specify the include directory on the command
line.  Like so:

./nbc -I/usr/local/include program.nxc -O=program.rxe

Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.

John Hansen