 Robotics / NXT / 585
Re: pbLua Fun at OSX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:59:38 GMT

Christian Mock wrote:
Hello World,

pbLua-Beta2 is out and 90% of my wishes are true now :D

Finally, I did something right - by accident!

Christian, could I ask you to please send me (off list if
you like) some screen shots of what happens when you connect
the NXT?

I can't remember if I sent you Mac instructions, but you just
look for the new device in /dev if I remember.

Running pbLua with OSX worked out of the box...
1. Flashing NXT and reboot the box once
2. checking for new NXT-Device (ls -la /dev/tty.usb*)
3. connecting with screen to NXT (screen /dev/ttyusbmodem2B11 9600)
4. Having fun with pbLua :D

Everything worked as I expected !

Cool! Sorry about the API changes and lack of sample programs.  I have
to rework the ones I have, or I'll take any submissions and add them
to the archive (hint hint)

Using screen is not the best way to work with new system, we need a LAN
connection to become happier... No problem: socat will do the job!

socat TCP4-LISTEN:10001 /dev/tty.usbmodem2B11,b9600,raw,echo=0

Is socat a standard OSX program?

Now you have a LAN-enabled pbLua NXT, just telnet to host and port (telnet
localhost 1001)

Wow!

But after playing around I got some new wishes for next pbLua-Version:
1. console via BlueTooth (selected by NXT-button at bootup)
2. storing Lua-Files directly at the NXT
3. boot directly into Lua-Program

There are always wishes. A filesystem is my next work too if the current
firmware is acceptable to others. Console to Bluetooth is tricky because
it requires an always on stream to the Bluecore. You can only stream to
one device at a time.

If you were ambitious, you could make a little event watcher that when
a button is pressed, the stream is activated for console I/O and then
closed for other comms. Once the console is closed, the Bluetooth
is available for other apps.

Ralph, this was a really great job!

Thanks Christian. I love getting feedback - any feedback.

Ralph