 Robotics / NXT / 1106
RE: Best stuff to buy for FLL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:31:45 GMT

Check this out.. Hope it helps...

www.stormingrobots.com/prod/qna.html

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
John Brost
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 2:46 PM
To: lugnet.robotics.nxt@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Best stuff to buy for FLL

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Duane Collicott wrote:
I'm forming an FLL team this year with 5th-graders. Being an AFOL and a • Technic
fan, I already have tons and tons of bits and pieces (beams, pins, blah, • blah,
blah).  With that in mind, that sort of set should I buy for a FLL team?

I'd probably recommend the "LEGO Mindstorms Education base set"
http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1263&c=0&t=0&l=0
rather than the retail NXT kit or buying things piece-by-piece.
The education kit comes with a battery pack & charger and converter cables
hook up to the old 9V LEGO motors, both of which can be very helpful for FLL
teams.
If you allow the team to use parts from your collection for additional
pieces,
you'll be just fine with only purchasing one of the Mindstorms kits.  If
you'd
rather not share your parts with the team, you may be well served to buy a
new(er) studless technic sets (or 2!).  While it's certainly possible to
compete
with only the pieces from a standard kit, the kids may find it difficult
and/or
limiting.

Also, from where do I get the software?

If you buy the retail NXT kit, it will come with NXT-G, the standard
programming
language, the kit from LEGO education will not.  If you get an education kit
or
purchase a NXT some other way, LEGO education sells both Robolab and NXT-G
separately.  These are the only two languages for the NXT that are allowed
in
FLL.

John