 Robotics / NXT / 1010
Re: designing new NXT parts (propeller and motor) using rapid prototyping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:22:32 GMT

First, you mention the NXT limits the total output current to 180 mA. I think
this might be in error. For instance on Philo's excellent page on the NXT motor,
he mentions that the NXT can support it at 15 N•cm torque, corresponding to a
current of about 500 mA, and it can easily exceed this to at least 800 mA for a
short time (before thermal protection engages, not due to a limitation the
driver in the NXT).

Indeed, this 180mA limitation is the one of the 4.3V power supply, that feeds
the sensors and the motor position encoders. The motors themselves can receive a
much higher current, limited by their own thermal protection and by the maximum
current of motor driver inside the NXT (about 800mA permanent, can be higher for
short periods)

Philo