 Robotics / Handy Board / 998
Re: Polariod Sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 06:51:50 GMT

I think you're right.
I used a transistor to drive the INIT with its emmiter and feed the TTL signal to the base. It seems to work fine now.  :)
You know what's funny, I tried using a CMOS chip (HCT) and it was able to drive the INIT signal. I figure since the Octal Latch of the HB is CMOS...
But...the CMOS chip seemed to have a 4.4 msec propagation delay.  :(  So, that's when I tried the transitor rig.   And 4.4 msec translated to about 5 feet! So, I had to discard the CMOS chip. I got it from radio shack. I heard bad things about Tandy so could this be one of them?

I'm trying to use TTL output of 74 series IC's to signal to INIT. I can't get it to work properly. Here's the deal. When I touch INIT to the 5V bus, the transd
Looking closely at the TTL output, I found that it drops from 5.149 V to 3.58 V the moment I connect INIT to it. And apparently, it doesn't stay at 5 V long en

Although I teach a digital electronics class based on the 74xx series, I'm certainly no
expert, but here goes anyway...

TTLs seem to have a very low ability to drive anything but minimal loads.  Look up
"drivers" in the TTL Data Book.  They provide a better output for other devices.  We use
them for driving 7-segment LEDs.  I suspect that your INIT is drawing too much current
and loading down your 74xx.  I'll keep tuned in to see what others can add.
--
Richard T. Vannoy II                 richardv@abac.com
PO Box 103                         Computer Programmer