 Robotics / Handy Board / 971
RE: IR communication (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 02:09:12 GMT

There will be a lot of IR radiation bouncing around and that can be problematic.

Another IR detection technique is to use a camcorder, they are sensitive to
IR light. Low light CCD cameras are even better.

If you want to hook up 4 IR xmitters from a common line, it is best to drive
each of them separately. You can do this with any high current driver or a
simple transistor switch. The problem with specifying "exact" parts is that
there are still too many variables to reduce to a managable number of solutions.

Some questions you need to answer:
1) How much drive current per LED?
2) What duty cycle?
3) Are all four LEDs sending the same thing?
4) Do you already have a discriminator protocol?
5) What is the required range? Field of view?
6) Do you expect to do purely software processing on the HB
    or will you add additional hardware?
7) Did you look at the modular iRDA solutions? Were they
    insufficient? How or why?
8) Will the environment have lots of ambient light? Will it be
    dark? Indoors?
9) Do the detectors need to track the transmitter? (related
    to field of view)

Without knowing a lot more about the system or a more specific question I
can't think of anything useful to say.

--Chuck