 Robotics / Handy Board / 95
Re: Weird LCD problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 03:47:29 GMT

Fred, (et al)
Actually I did test to make sure that the LCD was receiving the signal.
And indeed it was.  I did this before I posted and thought I made it clear.
So I guess my problem should have been directed elsewehere since it is not
entirely HB related.  But, in trying to debug what exactly was going on,
since D0 was always zero (at least according to the internals of the LCD),
I wired D0 to +5V.  I figured, if it didn't latch on to the high bit, then
I knew that I had a real LCD problem rather than HB.  ie the lcd could only
display even ascii numbered characters (b,d,f,h etc etc), but if I wired D0
to high then it theoretically should only print odd characters (a,c,e,g
etc).  It didn't which means I have got an LCD problem which I am not too
happy about.  (and yes I checked to make sure the correct votage was
actually making it all the way to LCD controller.

So with that all said and done, (the Handyboard IS happy just not the LCD),
is there anything that I can do to fix the LCD short of replacing the LCD
controller or the entire module?

Thanks,
-Dave Negro
dln2@cornell.edu

David --

Soldering d0 to +5v certainly can't help; it should be connected to
the data bus (pin 9 of the 6811, pin 11 of the RAM, and pin 3 of the
'hc373). (see the cpu and mem schematic).

With board power off, check continuity among these connections and
going to the d0 pin of the LCD.  If the board runs IC at all, it would
tend to suggest that d0 simply isn't making it to the LCD.

       -Fred