 Robotics / Handy Board / 937
936  |  938
Subject:
IC download problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:46:26 GMT

Having solved my memory power-supply problem, I've installed the
rest of the Handy Board memory circuitry and gone on to put in the
speaker and LCD screen (step 6.0.4 complete).  Unfortunately, I
can't seem to get Interactive C up and running! :(

Outwardly, the Handy Board and Interface/Charger board seem to be
behaving normally.  The top 16 blocks on the LCD screen light dimly
whenever the Handy Board is switched on, and all the LEDs appear to
still be working as advertised.  Yet when I put the HB in bootstrap
mode and attempt the download it fails with both hbdl.exe and dl.exe.

Fortunately, dl.exe provides more helpful error messages than hbdl:

C:\Handy Board>dl pcode_hb.s19 -port com4 -config_reg 0C
6811 .s19 file downloader.  Version 7.31  Aug  3 1994
        Copyright Randy Sargent 1994
Using port com4

Please place board in download mode and press RETURN
To quit, press Q
For help, press H
Downloading 256 byte bootstrap (229 data)
...............Expected 183, received 16, after 11 chars received
Perhaps the board was not connected properly or not in download mode

Please place board in download mode and press RETURN
To quit, press Q
For help, press H
Bye!

C:\Handy Board>

Both the green SER LED on the I/C board and the green PWR LED on the
HB show activity during the attempted transfer.  After the transfer
aborts both of these LEDs remain lit.  Each time I power-cycle the
HB back into bootstrap mode and retry the transfer, it stops at a
different # of chars received.  I collected data from about 20
trials, and while the same values seem to always get "mutated" into
the same things (e.g. "Expected 31" and "received 46" always go
together), there isn't any discernible bitwise pattern to the
"mutations".  (No bit position is always right, always wrong, or
always the same value.)

All this makes me think that maybe there is some kind of
synchronization problem going on here. (?)  By the way, if I tell
dl to -bs_ignore and -ignore_input, the download completes, but
when I power-cycle the board IC doesn't come up -- I just get the
row of 16 gray blocks...  I inspected both boards and re-heated
any suspect connections, but it didn't change anything.

I'm so close to having my Handy Board up and running!  I'd be most
appreciative of any and all help!

Thanks!!!
-Troy

  /\/\o   Troy Stephens '97