 Robotics / Handy Board / 922
921  |  923
Subject:
U14 problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:57:21 GMT

I'm having a problem at stage 5.1 (memory power supply) of assembling my
(first ever) Handy Board.  The main and interface/charger boards have
passed all tests up to this point.

I've just installed C4, C5, and U14 according to the instructions.  When
I plug the DC adapter into the Handy Board (interface/charger board is
completely out of the picture), I read about +.02 V where the memory power
supply is supposed to come in, and U14 rapidly gets hot!  I read +19.6 V
at pin 3 of U14, and 0 V at pins 1 and 2 of U14.  I tried a replacement
for U14 thinking it might have been fried, but nothing changed.

Any idea what might be going on here?  I'm kind of surprised to see +19.6V
coming in out of the power supply circuit, though I don't know if I should
be.  I thought this was supposed to be more like +12 V.  I am using the
Panasonic model KX-A11 DC adapter I received with my kit from Gleason
Research (which is marked DC 12V 500 mA).  The voltage measured at the DC
adapter output itself is 19.9 V !  I have checked the board for obvious
things like solder bridges or poor connections, but there are no such
defects that I can see.  I have the Handy Board schematics here as well as
the assembly instructions, by the way.

Any help in diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

-Troy