 Robotics / Handy Board / 8661
8660  |  8662
Subject:
serial wiring problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:19:23 GMT

Hi,

I’d like to connect a PAK VI PS/2 coprocessor to the Handyboard using its
serial port.

I’ve taken a RJ-11 telephone cable and cut it into two pieces, so that I’ve
got on one side the leads of the cable without the RJ-11 plug which I want
to solder to the PAK’s serial port and on the other side the RJ-11 plug
which I’ll plug into the Handy Board’s RJ-11 connector.

The Handy Board schematic in the HB manual says that pin 2 of the RJ-11
connector is RxD, pin 5 is TxD and that pin 4 is ground.

I think I have to connect the PAK’s RxD to pin 5 of the HB’s RJ-11 connector
(which is the HB’s TxD) and the PAK’s TxD to pin 2 (which is the HB’s RxD).
Is it right?
And what about the ground? Do I have to connect the PAK’s ground to the pin
4 of the HB’s RJ-11 connector?
So, my wiring would be like this:

PAK <--> Handy Board’s (RJ-11 connector)
===================================
RxD <--> pin 5 (TxD)
TxD <--> pin 2 (RxD)
GND <--> pin 4 (GND)

If I supply the PAK from the same power supply as I supply the Handy Board,
I won’t need to connect GND on the PAK’s side to GND on the Handy Board’s
side - or am I wrong?

I’m a little bit confused because I read so many messages on this newsgroup
about damages caused by wrong serial cable wiring between two Handy Boards,
network style cables, etc.
Any help would really appreciated!

Best regards,
Jan