 Robotics / Handy Board / 8654
Re: Robot Positioning using Beacons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 23:35:39 GMT

That sounds good, but what do I use to drive each beacon, (e.g. send out the
coded IR signal and sonar ping).  Using a full blown microcontroller like
the handyboard for each one would be incredibly expensive and wasteful.  I
only need a controller capable of doing just what is required.
Unfortunately I don't know quite enough about microcontrollers and
electronics to design one myself.

Could you offer me some advice?  Give me some basics to point me in the
right direction and my current knowledge should then be enough.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

"Fred G. Martin" <fredm@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
The problem with IR is that it tends to get everywhere, reflecting
off of surfaces etc, so it's hard to triangulate.

May I suggest a related but different approach.

Make your beacons out of hybrid IR/sonar transmitters.  The beacons
will periodically send a coded signal on the IR (e.g., "beacon 1")
as well as a simultaneous sonar ping.

The robot can then receive the IR pulse and the sonar ping, and
measure the time lag between them to determine distance from the
beacon.  (The IR pulse will travel more or less instantaneously,
while the sonar is ~1 ft per millisec.)

Put a couple of these in your room and you can triangulate.

fred