 Robotics / Handy Board / 861
Re: Assembly language and the handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 19:42:21 GMT

Interactive C is so well designed that it completely hides the underlying
machine away.  Are there some simple strategies I can use to uncover
the basics of the 68HC11 architecture?  I have seen one method that
links assembly code using some tools that run on
Windows 95 machines.  This process is too complex for my freshmen.

Ed -- are you referring here to IC's mechanism for linking to assembly
language files, the "IC Binary" interface?

It's really not too hard to use, and allows users to create assembly
language programs that are callable from IC using the C function call
syntax.  The assembly language module can create globals that are
accessible from C, and the asm routine can be passed and return an
integer value to/from C.

More info is available in the Handy Board Technical Reference, at
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/techdocs/hbmanual.ps.Z

Ronan -- is the ACIA an extra serial port that BUFFALO uses to
communicate with the host?  It shouldn't be too hard to tell it to use
the built-in 6811 SCI rather than this port.  Getting BUFFALO running
on the HB seems like a good idea -- if this is the only real obstacle,
we're not far away.

-Fred