 Robotics / Handy Board / 854
re: Assembly Language on the HandyBoard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:29:59 GMT

Ed C. Epp wrote:

I am planning to use the handyboard with my freshmen in Fall.  In addition
to the obvious benefits of demonstrating embedded systems, hardware, and
robotics, I am interested in using the handyboard as a platform for
introducing students to computer architecture.  I am interesting in
teaching them some of the fundamentals of how high level Interactive
C gets converted into assembler which gets converted into machine code.
I am also interested in teaching them how data is represented (e.g., two's
complement arithmetic.)

Interactive C is so well designed that it completely hides the underlying
machine away.  Are there some simple strategies I can use to uncover
the basics of the 68HC11 architecture?  I have seen one method that
links assembly code using some tools that run on
Windows 95 machines.  This process is too complex for my freshmen.
I would spend all my time on the mechanics and not have enough time
on the underlying principles.  In addition, I may not have Windows 95
machines available in Fall.

Some example lab ideas:
  Write a routine in assembler that checks digital port 7 for a
     one or zero.
  Write a routine in assembler that takes the average of two analog inputs.
  Store a string in a buffer and convert its contents to binary.
  etc.

Any suggestions about how to use assembler in the handyboard environment
are welcome.  An Interactive C that allows embedded assembler would
be the easiest solution.

Ed-

Two ways I am looking into:

(a)     Run a (freely available) shell called "PDE6811" on the PC,
which includes an editor, assembler and simulator.  Unfortunately,
to download, PDE6811 expects that BUFFALO, Motorola's 6811 resident
monitor be running on the target system.  I have not yet gotten BUFFALO
in any of its versions to run on the HandyBoard.  The main problems
seem to be that:

1.      BUFFALO is written for Motorola's EVB, in expanded mode,
so the reset (and other) vectors are in the wrong place for the HB,
which boots in "special test mode".  As Fred Martin pointed out, this
is easy to sort out in the source code.

2.      Some HB hardware (LCD) exists where BUFFALO expects to find
an ACIA on an EVB.  The code may need to be hacked to stop BUFFALO
probing for a non-existent ACIA.

(b)     Use Motorola'a free assembler, and use their PCBUG11 code to
operate the HB.  This works, although I have not been able to get the
serial comms btw the PC and HB to work with a PC faster than a 486
DX4/100; Pentiums need to be operated at "compatibility" speed.  This
is due to a timing loop in PCBUG11 which cannot be sufficiently
stretched.  PCbug11 is very powerful, but rather opaque!  A hypertext
(html) version of the v3.24a manual has been produced by Jacques Weiss
at Supelec, Rennes, France.

***** Is there anyone else out there working on this problem?
--
   Ronan Scaife, Speech Engineering Laboratory, School of Elec Eng,