 Robotics / Handy Board / 8366
8365  |  8367
Subject:
Spring 2001 Robotic Egg Hunt at CWRU, Sunday 29 April 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:36:46 GMT

     The 12th "LEGO My Egg-O" Robotic Egg Hunt will be held on Sunday, 29
April 2001, 12:30-3:00 PM, at the Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland,
Ohio.  The Egg Hunt is the final design competition of my Autonomous Robotics
course at Case Western Reserve University.  Teams of 2 robots compete against
each other in a walled arena, collecting colored plastic eggs and bringing
them home to nests distinguished by beacons of polarized light.  The robots
are built from LEGOs and are controlled by MIT 6.270 boards (the precursor
to the Handy Board) programmed in Interactive C.

     If you can't make it in person, we will have a live webcast of the Egg
Hunt.  (Yes, we said this last time, and GLSC changed their firewall at the
last minute, so it blocked our webcast.  But we got that straightened out.)
RealPlayer 8 Basic (freeware) is required.  Use this URL to get to the
webcast:

     http://legocam.cwru.edu/

The webcast is currently active, broadcasting from our class lab at CWRU.

     For the first time, we have an outside entry in the Egg Hunt!  A group
of 6 middle school students from the Hershey Montessori Farm School in
Huntsburg, Ohio, have constructed their own Egg Hunt robot, using the new
Mindstorms RCX board.  This robot will go head-to-head against the winner of
our Egg Hunt.  The student robot was built to follow all our Egg Hunt rules,
and is fully autonomous.

     Admission to the Egg Hunt is free.  More information about the course,
including photos of the Hershey Montessori student robot, is available from
the course webpage at

     http://www.eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/

Hope you can check us out!

     *Rich*
--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other