 Robotics / Handy Board / 8290
    Underwater Sensors —James Anthony
   Anyone know of any sensors that could be used to tell if a robot is underwater or not? I'm working on an amphibious robot and need a way to tell what environment I'm in at any given time. Thanks. James (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Underwater Sensors —Richard Giuly
     If you had two wires hanging out, stripped at the ends, you could just check the resistance across them. Water usually has less resistance than air. (not a very cool solution but I think it would work) (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Underwater Sensors —Dan Gates
     James, maybe a moisture sensor out of a VCR could be modified to meet your needs??? They are made to detect condensation in VCR's. but if all else fails... water is a conductor, so you could theoreticly just put two bare contacts on the outer part (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Underwater Sensors —Matthias Jetleb
   (...) First off, beware that ordinary tap water contains dissolved impurities and is electrically conductive. (Water itself, BTW, is actually an insulator - it's the dissolved impurities that give it conductivity). It usually isn't an issue with (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)