 Robotics / Handy Board / 8243
8242  |  8244
Subject:
downloading the pcode during assembly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:08:15 GMT

hi,

I am during the assembly phase where I am supposed to be able to download the
pcode to the handy board.
I've placed on my handyboard  a UM62256A-10L as RAM a MC47HC132N and a PICVUE
16x2 LCD PVC160203P
All the test from the handyboard assembly manual until now where ok. When I plug
my LCD It shows a dark single row of blocks. I tried downloading the pcode using
dl, dlm hdlm under windows dos and linux on a Pentium 200 MMX and a 386 DX 40
MHz  without succes. hdlm displayed Error downloading byte #0x06. dl downloads
90% and freezes if i don't use the -bs_ignore option. With the -bs_ignore option
it says download succesfull and fails to sincronize with the board. Dlm
recognises bootstrap mode corectly, but does the same as dl.

With the debug option for dlm i can see what dlm sends and receives from the
board, send and receive caracters are not the same but i suppose that's how it
should be.It stops at 90% by sending 00 and receiving 0080, and fails to
sincronize with the board by sending 73 and receiving one time 0080 and then
nothing.

I' tried with and without the LCD.The voltage at RAM pin 28 is +5V at the
MC74HC132N the same, and my E-clock frequency is 2.22 Mhz ( is that a problem?).

I read the reference guide from motorola and it said there that the MCU should
be in single chip (Mode 0) or expanded Mode 1 ) that Means MODB allways 1 and
MODA 0 for first case and 1 for the second one.
Acording to the handiboard's wiring i could never reach any of them for MODB is
allways connected to the ground.

Special Bootstrap mode should mean MODB=MODA=0 and special test mode MODB=0
MODA=1
I correctly reached bootstrap mode and when dlm or dl get stuck my board jumps
directly in Special test mode.

Question: Is that Normal?
Am I doing something wrong with the dl or dlm parameters, what does the hdlm
error mean ?
Can I solve this problem ? How?

Any suggestions what soever are welcome.

Thnx

Max.

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED: