 Robotics / Handy Board / 814
Re: electronic compasses/embedded CPU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 01:10:36 GMT

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Jeff Keyzer wrote:

I'm curious - how reliable are the solid state compass chips
available?  I'm trying to find one that could be integrated into an RC
helicopter, and I'm concerned that things such as engine noise, metal on
the copter, etc will distort the readings.  Does anyone have any info
about this?

The Vector 2X has a calibration feature wherein you start a cal program,
turn it 180 deg on its vertical axis, and finish the calibration program.
That takes of metal fixed relative to the compass.  Twirling blades and
reciprocating pistons may be moving so fast they average out, since the
readings are at 5 Hz.  I'm stuck right now integrating mine into a 68HC11
processor, look at ray butt's Tcomp computer.  Look for Tcomp on the Web,
it's about $70, not near as nice as the Handyboard.  However, it is based
on the E processor, allowing 4 input capture lines, which I've gotta have.

-mike