 Robotics / Handy Board / 812
Re: HB assembly errors.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 13:32:08 GMT

While trying to debug
the board I realized that when power is supplied by the SIB to HB and HB is
off the BATT LED is brightly lit and PWR LED is faintly lit.  This seems
wrong.

OK, this indicates a particular problem.  If the BATT LED is fully
lit, it means that system voltage is less than 4.5v.  Typically, if
you are powering your system from the SIB, this indicates some kind of
board short.

I would remomve all socketed chips and see if this problem goes away.
You cannot proceed until you fix this.

I am now using the Windows 96 version of IC 3.1 Beta and it works great on
my Pentium Pro.  My PC now talks to the serial interface board as outlined
in the assembly instructions.  However, the PWR LED never blinks on the
Handy Board.  IC also returns an error message about not being able to talk
to the HB.  When I assembled it, the HB passed all tests.  I was only able
to measure the voltage on the E pin for clock test.

See if this behavior changes after you fix the shorting problem.  BTW,
I wouldn't put too much faith in the voltage E clock test.  If you
have a logic probe, make sure that the clock is running.  If not, skip
this test b/c voltmeters don't always work the same way when
measuring a digital waveform.

Your real problem here is indicated by the BATT light.  IF this is
lit, then system voltage is too low and the DS1233 chip is
continuously asserting RESET, preventing the 6811 from operating.
This is what the DS1233 is supposed to do under low voltage; you must
find out why system voltage is low.

-Fred

I checked the HB mail archive and did not find any mention of any
similar assembly errors.  Please excuse my forward behavior but I purchased
the parts to assemble two HBs.  One for myself and one for my nephew.  He
has been looking forward to building the board for months now.  I promised
him that we would build his this Sunday after church.  I was building mine
so that things would go smoothly on Sunday.  I would hate to disappoint him
so I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.