 Robotics / Handy Board / 8048
Re: Encoders, what are you using?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:23:22 GMT

Jerry, go to:
EE 401 - Electrical Engineering Design Course - 1999/2000
then to shaft encoders they have 16, 32, or 64 sections you can print out.
bye,
Terry G.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Normandin" <jerrynormandin@ne.mediaone.net>
To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 5:01 PM
Subject: Encoders, what are you using?

Hi,

My homebrew quad hall effect encoder works,  I'm learning from it.
I get @ 1/4" resolution so there's plenty of slop.   I can
have the robot pace back and forth on a straight track for 6 passes
or so then I start to veer off track.   So I guess it's time to try an
optical encoder setup.  I've got the Reflective sensors that
Fred recommended.  What are you using for an encoder disk?  I've got a
gear
that I exposed and that's what has the 4 magnets mounted on it.  It's
got a 3/4" diameter,  my drive wheels are at 2 1/2" diameter.
Do you print the disk out on a Laser Printer and then glue them
on cardboard and then glue that to the gears?  How many more
ticks per revolution can I get?  I get 8 ticks right now per 1
revolution of the drive gear.