 Robotics / Handy Board / 8032
8031  |  8033
Subject:
Here's the Rover with handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 23:53:36 GMT

Attatched is a picture od the toy Mars Rover that I am modifying.  Right

now I have the handyboard driving two lego motors and I ripped
apart a mouse to use the encoder.   Mice encoders sure work great!
And they are much cheaper than commercial encoders, and perhaps
more accurate than a homemade disk.  I used to make disks,  we'll see
how this works out.   The most difficult task has been the arrangement
of
the gears to ensure they don't bind.  The gear ratio I chose to use
between the
lego motor and the drive gear is low enough to drive the platform with
the motor power set to 20!     At first the lego motor drive gear popped

off the motor shaft, I repositioned the motor with hotglue and applied
elmers glue to the gearshaft before inserting the drive gear.  works
great now!   I am burning in the drive system right now by pacing the
rover fwd 5 feet, turn 180 and then move back , turn 180.
I still need to add sonar,  and Infra Red Proximity Detector,  Compass,
Bumper switches,  Line Tracker Sensor, flame detectors, and
a servo system to activate a C02 canister.  The wheels on this work
very well on carpet, on a hardwood floor it's not as smooth when you
turn, I am
working on optimizing it though.

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED: