 Robotics / Handy Board / 7896
7895  |  7897
Subject:
LCD Memory Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:00:02 GMT

I am just checking that I have got the LCD operation right so I
apologise to anybody who is already clear on this.
On the LCD module the Register select and Read/Write pins are connected
to the A9 and A8 lines of the HB and the DB0-DB7 pins are connected to
the D0-D4 lines of the HB. I believe that the HC11 goes into a special
mode to use the lcd, which means that it disables the use of the
external 16 bit address bus so that the A9 and A8 lines are controled as
outputs and the D0-D7 lines are used to send the 8 bit word to the
module. Is this correct ?, I'm just starting to build the board and have
had to use a different LCD module than I intended so I am just making
sure that I understand the intended operation of the module so that I
can be sure that the replacement will work correctly. If I have got the
operation right the LCD should be fine. It is a VK2216 (made by Vikay I
think, if that means anything to anybody) but the data sheet specifies
that the module has a Hitachi compatible controller/driver and the pin
layout and electrical characteristics seem to be the same as the one
used in the HB documentation.

Thanks in advance.

John Hatton