 Robotics / Handy Board / 7876
7875  |  7877
Subject:
Got my Handy, now what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 02:40:54 GMT

I ordered my Handy Board today, and am going to install it in
an ice cream bucket named "BucketBot." (Better name? Please?)
Well I know that I'll be hooking up my GP2D12 to it, and a sonar
module (Polaroid 6500 hacked out of a Polaroid Sun 660 One
Step), but I have a few questions:

Does ANYONE know of a good way to make cheap encoders?
I have wheels hooked onto servo motors with no electronics
(Use a L293D) and need encoders. Should I use a Hall Effect
sensor for this and a magnet or two per wheel, or an optical
thingie, or what? I really need this sensor, and have NO clue
whatsoever about how to implement it.

Is there anyway to modify the Handy to take a pre-regulated
+5v supply? I have a couple LM2596T-5.0 5Volt 3A Simple
Switcher regulators (Order today! They're great! Get samples
at www.national.com and a 100uf cap and a 66uh - 100uh
inductor, and you're ready to go!) and have had bad luck with
the 7805 regulators (which happens to be on the handy...).
I MELTED a 7805 once, it got SOFT to the prodding sharp
object and ceased to provide 5 volts. And I was running only
a HC11, L293D (Logic only, not motor power), Max232, and
a HS300 servo. Thanks to that, I tried hooking up my servo
to the +12v rail, and poof... no more servo, even screwed up
the motor (doesn't turn with any voltage now - didnt think
that possible). Well, enough rambling, is it possible? I don't
really want to cut traces or anything (besides the pullups on
the analog input, and I will probably end up desoldering that
whole resistor network).

What pyro sensor would you recommend for a fire-fighting bot?
I want to cruise by a room, point the sensor at it, and see whether
or not the candle's in there. One sensor pack on Acroname said
that it could do that, but I can't remember what it's called, and
was wondering if there were any suggestions. I am NOT going
with the Eltec, it just won't work for me.