 Robotics / Handy Board / 7815
Re: Household Positioning System Re: DGPS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:19:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, FThompson9@aol.com writes:
In a message dated 05/08/2000 6:25:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
willb@selway.umt.edu writes:

Forget global.  We need to devise HPS -- Household Positioning System!

   How about a beacon system.  Each room can have 3 or so beacons ...

Some years ago i wrote the presentation part of a prototype system based on
ultrasonic beacons.
the  beacons were plugged into wall outlets and transmitted their ID:s, i
can't remember the details but the beacons were syncronized by detectecting
the zero crossing of the 220V 50Hz. i think the system gave the position
within 1 mm to 1 cm . the prototype system was 2D (x,y) but i see no problem
using it for 3D (x,y,z). Just thought i should mentioned it ...

-Anders