 Robotics / Handy Board / 7806
7805  |  7807
Subject:
Sonar (yes, it's me again, with more sonar questions!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 23:12:55 GMT

Today several members of my lab and I decided to solder together the sonar
assembly which had been previously been held together by large quantities of
duct tape. We decided the 9-pin connection strip would be too flimsy and
unnecesarily difficult to solder, so we figured on soldering the connection
lines directly to the bottom of the sonar module as displayed at:
   http://www.leang.com/robotics/info/circuits/psonar/sonar.jpg
(thx Kam for sending me the link to that pic)

However, we noticed something seemingly odd to us. How come the picture above
has the 1k resistor soldered to the line corresponding to INIT where as the
official schematics have the resistor soldered to BINH? This is seen at:
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/software/sonar.html

Thinking we were very clever we put the resistor on the line marked BINH in
the picture. Our sonar doesn't work, and has behaviour similar to what I
described in previous messages, where it simply oscillates between some
meaningless numbers. This condition was previously caused by not having the
capacitor connecting properly (or so we think). We're almost positive this is
not the case now. Where does the resistor actually go, and could that be the
problem?

I put pictures of our assembly online at http://plan.mcs.drexel.edu/legoKits/
in case anyone thinks they have an answer but wish they could see our
assembly. Sorry for the blurryness of the pictures :(

Thx :)