 Robotics / Handy Board / 7711
Re: sonar mapping with evidence grid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 19:53:04 GMT

In a message dated 03/26/2000 12:27:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
ukho@tm.net.my writes:

Is it true that the sonar range reading is in a cone shape at 30 deg. and
not at point form ? I just can't find any information from the Polaroid • home
page.

    I have read that it is not actually a solid cone angle, but a peak
central lobe and a few side lobes.  I think the best way to figure this out
is to mount your sonar sensor on a rotatable head and go out to an open
field.  Place a single target (the corner of a cardboard box might make a
good corner mirror) a known distance in the field.  Then scan your sonar
sensor around a full circle logging measured distance versus angle.  This
should give you a clear idea of the way your sonar responds.
    You may also need to figure the side lobe reactions into your navigation
system.  If you would like, write me back and I'll look up the actual
reference in which this is discussed.  I have forgotten off the top of my
head.

Pherd
Currently Pensacola FL
Soon to be Somers CT