 Robotics / Handy Board / 7556
RE: light sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 01:11:55 GMT

Hope this will help.

Have you consider using Cds(Cadmium Sulfide) cells from Radio Shack? They are among the easiest of all light sensors to interface to the Handy Board and the interface itself is pretty much straightforward. All it is a a variable resistor but instead of varying the resistance by using knob, the resistance of the cell is varied using light source instead. Having said that, the value of the cell can be read by connecting it directly to one of the analog ports on the HB using the already included IC analog() routines. On my robot however, in order to distinguish regular room lighting from a flashlight or bright light source, I had to used a red lense over each individual cells to get a better difference between the level of brightness. Hope this will help. Good Luck.