 Robotics / Handy Board / 7554
7553  |  7555
Subject:
Can I use this light sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:33:07 GMT

I don't know a lot of electronics, but have been tasked with figuring out
which electronic components to purchase for a class which is going to use
HandyBoards. I've been thinking of purchasing many of one particular infrared
detector and using it for visible light sensing and break beam sensing (when
paired with an emitter), which seems reasonable from my experiences using an
infrared phototransistor I picked up at RadioShack. Now I'd liked to order
something similar in bulk and was wondering if this component from DigiKey
will fit the bill:
   Part #: 160-1031-ND
   It's in the bottom left corner of page 599
    in the catalog (http://rocky.digikey.com/USCatalog/599.PDF)

Also, can I use this emitter:
   Part #: 160-1061-ND
   It's also in the bottom left corner of page 599 in the catalog.
For the infrared communications output on the HB or do I need a modulated
emitter? I looked through the mail archives but couldn't find an answer to
this.

Lastly, what kind of resistor do I have to use to connect the LED to the power
supply in the analog/digital port of the HB (I was figuring on hooking the
emitter/detector into the same port)? I saw 330 ohms mentioned in the mailing
list, is that correct? Is that a typical value to use (for example, for a
photointerrupter that I was also going to purchase from DigiKey, part #OR556-
ND).

Sorry for all the questions, thx for your help :)