 Robotics / Handy Board / 7466
Re: 9V Lego Motor and motor output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:36:11 GMT

Jim Tompkins wrote:

I am using motor port 0 to control a lego motor (gearmotor #5225) The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to change the motor speed using motor(0, speed) where speed is between -100 & 100. The motor turns on at 15 (or -15), but sstays at the same speed throughout the reamiaing power levels.

I have tried this with a motor out of a CD-ROM drive (eject motor - sanyo) and it works fine. Is there omething special anbout the lego motor I need to be aware of?

I guess this is a common problem, which is based on the low power
consumption of the LEGO motors (the speed of the motors DOES change,
but not significantly). There are two ways of solving this problem:

1. Try Julian Skidmores smooth power routines with 100 different
speedvalues at:

http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/software/contrib.html
   The motor-control is much better.

2. Visit http://www2.graupner.com/ and ask for Part-No. 2735 -
Micro-Speed 4. This device has the size of a matchbox and enables servo-
   control for a motor. Of course this solution is only possible, if you
have the Expansion-Board installed. The price is about $25.00.

Hope this helps.

DIRK

   Dirk Stueker      Zietenstr. 36      26131 Oldenburg        Germany
   Department of Computer Science              University of Oldenburg
   Tel. & Fax: +49 / 441 / 5 39 35
Home-P: http://condor.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/stueker
E-Mail: stueker@gmx.de     (=Dirk.Stueker@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.de)