 Robotics / Handy Board / 7461
Re: LCD displays
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 19:07:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, David Perry writes:
Since the Hitachi web site is useless and i can't find data sheets for =
the 16x2 display, i am looking for alternatives - i'd like to get them =
from BG micro since they have all kinds of goodies like the 68hc11, RAM =
chips and displays. Which of the following is suitable?

bg micro p# LCD1002
Optrex_DMC 20434-20x4 LCD 8bit ASCII input with hd44780 controller by =
hitachi.

bgmicro p#LCD1010
Optrex_DMC 40131 same as above except with backlight and 40x1 display

The others didn't look sutitable (requires inveter, no controller, etc.)

Backlighting is a "no issue" for most of our usage.  I have used all but the
40x1 displays from BG and they all work fine.  If there is a 44780 on the board,
you can use it.  Does _anyone_ make an LCD that isn't 44780 compatable anyway?

  I built up a couple of their PIC-n-LCD units using the 20x4, one with their
board and one with my own using their chip/crystal kit.  These work very nicely
with just about every micro I've tried them with.

have fun,
DLC