 Robotics / Handy Board / 745
Re: Trinity College robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 16:51:03 GMT

Fred & others,
FYI, there were 5 teams of LEGO robots (using 6270 and HB) in the "grown-up"
category from Penn State Abington-Ogontz (Abington, PA).  These were
freshmen and sophomore engr undergrads taking a robot design course. (One
team placed 6th, another 8th.)  We also brought 4 high school teams from the
Phila. area with us (one of the h.s. teams placed 2nd - $500 prize).
         I heartily agree with Fred that the competition is lots of fun.  I
am disappointed that the organizers allow air at all  in extinguishing the
flame.  The first year we did fire-fighting, my students employed other
methods such as water pumps, and one team used a catapult of baking soda --
these were more interesting robots than the fans that are commonly used.
Eliminating air might encourage more diverse (& messy) solutions.  I am also
attempting to get my students to move away from total reliance on
shaft-encoding "dead-reckoning" techniques and explore more "intelligent"
methods.  I let them " live and learn" however.
     I am currently mentoring 6 teams of freshmen engr's (with HBs and
LEGOs) and several high schools to build autonomous robots for our
"Robo-Hoops" competition in which robots must dunk or shoot Nerf balls (3.5"
diam) into a net positioned 12" above the playing surface.  The contest was
a great success last year.  The contest is tentatively scheduled for
Saturday, Dec 7, 1996 at our campus (Phila. PA USA area). The competition is
open to any college undegrads and high school and younger. (Web page not
ready yet.)  All are welcome as spectators. We usually do Robo-Hoops in the
Fall, and Fire-fighting at Trinity in the Spring.  The students have a great
time and learn a great deal of real-world lessons.