 Robotics / Handy Board / 743
742  |  744
Subject:
Trinity College robot contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:12:51 GMT

Hi everyone,

Jake Mendelssohn has posted the rules for the 4th annual spring 1997
Fire-Fighting Robot Contest.  I went to the 1996 contest and it was
great fun.  The contest draws people from all over the world,
including hobbyists, university folk, engineers, and kids.  There are
separate entry divisions for grown-ups and kids so it really
encourages participation by everyone.

I'm going to be there again this time, along with the kids that I work
with during the school year.  Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a
$1000 prize awarded in each of the two divisions.  Yup, that's real
money you get to keep if you win!

The contest itself consists of a simplified maze that your robot must
navigate to find a candle and put it out.  The maze itself is known
beforehand but the location of the candle is not.

Last year the dead-reckoners were out in full force and one of them
eventually won.  Since you do know the maze, with good mechanical
design it's possible to build a robot that charts the same path
through every time, and just by counting encoder clicks doesn't get
lost.

I personally find creature-like robots that react to their
surroundings and deal with uncertainty more interesting.
Dead-reckoners are "just machines" to me.

But basically anything goes!  Last year, there were a range of
attitudes on display from the robot builders---some people clearly
wanted to win, while others wanted to try out their ideas and make a
decent showing.  My team's robot, built with LEGO genious Steve Ocko
and hacker extraordinare Brian Silverman, was hoping simply have a
single successful run (you get three chances).  We were denied!  It
was somewhat amusing as ours was the only robot built from LEGO in the
grown-up category (there were quite a few in the junior division).

This year they made at least one change in the rules to make the
contest a bit more "realistic," as Jake puts it.  The problem was that
last year, a number of robots put out the candle by piercing a
canister of CO2 (soda chargers) shooting the compressed carbon dioxide
at the candle.  Fine; but the force of the gas was so strong that a
robot simply needed to point its CO2 gun at the candle from the
"doorway" to a room, and it could put out the candle anywhere in the
room, even from several feet away.  It kind of meant that if you had a
big gun, you didn't have to get very close or aim well.

This year your robot must be within 12" of the candle when it puts it
out.  CO2 cartridges, which really are like shooting a fly with an
elephant gun in terms of effectiveness, are still allowed.  One
related note:  the rules suggest that robots can use water, foam, or
other such materials and make a mess.  Last year my partners and I
took this seriously and built a shaving cream-shooting robot!  I was
disappointed when only one other robot made a mess---everyone else
used CO2 cartridges (expensive---one per run!) or powerful fans (yeah,
like that would work in a real fire!).  Anyway, it's all attitude, do
you want to win or do you want to have fun.  I guess both are allowed
too :-).

Enough from me!  Enclosed in Jake's message; at the bottom is a URL
with the full rules.

I'd like to encourage all Handy Board users to enter a design or just
come and schmooze.  It would be a great way to meet each other, share
robot designs, and show off the Handy Board.

Yours,
Fred