 Robotics / Handy Board / 7411
Re: some action around here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:58:07 GMT

Hey, Handy Board people!

I don't know if anybody has noticed, but this group is dead, dead,
dead!  It's time to get things going.  Maybe people have some neat
projects going on to tell us about.  I have a robot I'm working on that
you can read about on the Seattle Robotics website.  I don't use a Handy
Board on it, but I started with one, and could have finished it, but I
needed the Handy Board for another project so I used a different one.
What I'm doing could be done just as well with a Handy Board.  Check out
the project at
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200001/docbot.html.

One of the things I needed to do for this new project was to create the
missing arcsine function for determining angles to walls.  Someone here
contributed the series I used, and it wasn't the Taylor series.  The
Taylor series loses accuracy near 90°, probably because of truncating
terms past about 9 or so, but this other function was right on at 89°
with the same number of terms in the polynomial expansion.  I'll publish
the C code for both series as soon as whoever suggested the unnamed
series so I can give him credit.

There are some pretty clever people on this list, but how come nobody is
adding contributed software to the Handy Board site?  Come on, you
guys.  And Fred, what has you so busy?  Finals aren't for a long time
yet, so give us some more things to look at on the site.  Tell us what
you are working on.

Just stirrin' up the pot.

Gary Livick