 Robotics / Handy Board / 741
Re: your mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:18:55 GMT

Good question.  Many UNIX programs are text-based, which allows easier
integration with editors, etc. (if you disable paren balencing, you should
be able to run IC under emacs, for example).  Also, some (few) UNIX people
are still using terminals, and in my opinion text consoles are a fair bit
easier to use than x-windows on a Linux laptop with a 640x480 screen and
crappy mouse (others might disagree here).

That makes sense.  I suppose if I had a linux laptop, I wouldn't
mind so much...  :-)  I suppose I prefer the graphical versions becaused
I've been using them for some time, and have gotten used to their feel.
Also, I managed to get pretty sick of the MS-DOS versions of IC, since they
didn't have an integrated editor - which meant quitting, editting, and
restarting IC every time I wanted to make a minor change!  However, the UNIX
version _does_ incorporate this feature, which should certainly make things
easier.  I suppose I'm also lucky because I'm dual-booting, giving me the
choice of which version to run.