 Robotics / Handy Board / 7407
Re: Battery Capacity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:42:21 GMT

William Bain wrote:

I power my HB with an 8-AA-cell, 500 mAH Panasonic battery,
soldered together by Digikey (I think it's the one listed in
the HB Tech Ref) and it has no trouble at all driving a couple
Lego motors. My robot is pretty heavy, too, with sonar, a color
video camera, and a video transmitter.

I am using 8-NiMH-AA-cells, 1100 mAh each, without any problems.
For German Handyboard users: www.reichelt.de sells either single
sells or a soldered pack of batteries. Actually you can even get
upto 1700 mAh-cells (no experience with those cells). Instead of
using the recommended 500mA DC adapter, I changed to 800mA.

However, I'm using the Lego gear motors, which may be more
efficient than the old style of Lego motor, and I gear them
down even more. Have you tried gearing your motors down? Maybe
you aren't getting enough torque and that's causing your motors
to stall.

Same motors are used by me and I geared them down, too.

I really recommend getting the soldered batteries from Digikey.
Using a battery holder with single cells never worked very
reliably for me.

No problems with single sells.

Hope this helps.

Dirk