 Robotics / Handy Board / 7386
Re: Sonar and the handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 07:30:17 GMT

My guess is that the Polaroid unit will only be able to drive
transducers with electrical characteristics very similar to the
Polaroid transducer.

The transducer functions mainly as a capacitor, and in between
pings, it is kept at a couple hundred volts DC bias (I guess
for effectively listening for an echo).

If you can get your hands on a capacitance meter, you might
test your depth finder transducer and see how close it comes to
the Polaroid specs.

Keep in mind that you should never trigger a ping on the
Polaroid unit without a transducer hooked up to it; apparently
that'll blow the circuit permanently. If you try a different
transducer with it, wear safety goggles and have a fire
extinguisher handy ;-]

Let us know the results of any smoke tests you conduct. Best of
luck!

-- Will

--- Derrick Rapp <rappr@union.edu> wrote:
I need to attach an underwater sonar ranger to the handyboard
but I cannot
figure out how.  Does anyone have any experience with this?
One question that
I have is if sonar transducers other than the polaroid 7000
unit can be
attached to Polaroids driver IC?  If this is the case, then
can I attach the
polaroid circuit to the handyboard and a standard boat
transducer to the
polaroid circuit?

Any help is desperately needed.  Thanks

=====