 Robotics / Handy Board / 7335
Re: Modifying a servo for use with HB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:19:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Rick Dodd writes:
When connecting my servos (now gear head motors) to
the HandyBoard - do I need to a) replace the pot with the resistor
network or b) remove the electronics all together?  I'm unclear if the
PWM routines on the HB (fd, bk, and motor) are the kind of PWM that
control a servo or the kind that control a DC motor.  My gut feeling is
DC motor because of the other servo routines (servo_on, servo_off,
etc.).

  What sources for servo hacking have you read?  Depending on the servo
(the Futaba S148 is the easiest), there are a few things to do.  Using the
148 as my example; Clip off the end-stop and pull the bushing from the spline
gear and remove the pot-fitting-thingee, replace the bushing.  Now send
a 1500us pulse every 20-30ms to the servo, twiddle the pot until the motor
stops moving, rebuild the servo.  That's it.  Some servos need other hacks
to get the continuous rotation, but by-and-large anything you can do that
just leaves that pot in will work the best for future adjustment and
maintenance.
  Make sure you read the PWM section in "Mobile Robots" to get the idea of
how to get the output-compare timers working for you to drive your servos.
The hobby servo PWM is fundamentally different in function to DC motor PWM,
it controls not only speed but direction - although most people just turn
the motors full forward or full backward, the further, in either direction,
you go from that center point, the faster the motor turns in that direction.

have fun,
DLC