 Robotics / Handy Board / 7317
Re: Lego-izing the Handyboard.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 06:22:10 GMT

Mark --

I built a chassis for my robot that cradles the HB and clamps two Lego
gear motors solidly in place. Check out this web page for photos:

http://people.montana.com/~nepenthe/robot.html

Each side of the chassis consists of two sixteen-unit beams, one on top
of the other with two-unit beams and plates for vertical spacing.

Across the front and back are single sixteen-unit beams, the ends of
each sandwiched between the top and bottom beams of the sides.

Finally, to make the whole assembly virtually bomb-proof, I use the
black friction pins and four six-unit beams vertically at each corner
to pin the top side beams to the bottom side beams. As long as the
verticals are in place, the structure cannot rattle loose.

To keep the whole box assembly from racking, you can snap some 2 x 8 or
4 x 8 flat plates to the tops of the lateral beams (also makes a good
platform for mounting small sensors).

--- Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.bc.ca> wrote:
I've mentioned this subject before here, but I never really got an
answer that made much sense...

Has anybody ever tried building a reasonable "LEGO-ish" container for
the Handyboard? Ideally, that would be a sturdy enclosure that still
provides convenient access to all the handyboard's I/O without
actually
having to open it up.

I cannot imagine being the only LEGO nut who's been drawn to the idea
of
using the handyboard because of its increased versatility over the
Mindstorms unit, but does not like the idea of hooking things up to a
bare motherboard.

Mark

=====
Any sufficiently advanced technology