 Robotics / Handy Board / 7306
Re: IR Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:40:02 GMT

All of the IR sensors I've seen use a pulsed IR emitter so that the
detector can distinguish between the emitted IR and ambient (e.g.
sunlight).

Some sensors simply measure the intensity of reflected IR, but this
method doesn't work reliably unless everything in the robot's
environment has the same IR reflectance; it would work ok in a maze
where all the walls have the same color and texture, for example, but
not so well in the typical home environment.

The more sophisticated IR sensors use some sort of triangulation scheme
where the spacing between the emitter and detector becomes important,
but I don't know the details of this method. Perhaps someone else on
the mailing list can shed more electromagnetic radiation on this.

-- Will

-- Will

--- Adam Oliver <oli@wantree.com.au> wrote:
Greetings,
I've heard mention of the various Sharp IR sensors which can give
different distance readings for different zones. Part of my final
year project is to design and investigate various sensors, but I
really have to generate the stuff myself rather than use ready-made
components.

Could anyone out there give me an idea or starting point on how these
devices work? Or how I might go about building something similar,
even if it isnt to the same scale or accuracy.

=====
Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic.
-- Arthur C. Clark