 Robotics / Handy Board / 7278
Re: LEGO sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 02:06:03 GMT

just to be clear, there are two types of LEGO sensor:  active and
passive:

* passive -- touch sensor, temperature sensor.
* active -- light sensor, rotation sensor (aka shaft encoder, angle sensor)

without expansion board, the HB can only deal with the passive
sensors.

with expansion board, you also can use the active sensors.  the active
sensors are somewhat sophisticated, you alternately charge them to +9v
and then read back their value.  this must be done repeatedly -- the
HB does it at 250 hz -- to maintain counts with the rotation sensor.

fred

In your message you said:
The LEGO sensors and the RCX are the same thing.  The standard Handy
Board (without an expansion board) can handle all of the passive LEGO
sensors such as the touch and rotation sensors.  The expansion board
is needed to use the active sensors such as the light sensor and
others that have been developed by the sensor experts like Michael
Gasperi and others.  The big advantage of the expansion board is the
ability to directly control R/C servos as well as the active LEGO
sensors.

Good luck and have fun,
- Nick -

Scarius wrote:

Some of the expansion board kits (all? sorry, haven't been paying much
attention to the extension boards yet) mention that they have slots for
LEGO style sensors. Does this mean the sensors they use on their
RCX/Mindstorms stuff? What's the difference, are the LEGO sensors based
around different voltages as opposed to normal Handyboard sensors? We've
been using LEGO motors (but not sensors) in our lab, is there a
difference there as well? Somewhat obviously, I don't know much about
electronics :)