 Robotics / Handy Board / 7264
Re: Servos, power, and the expansion board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 02:11:04 GMT

Here is an update:

I added an external power supply for the servos. Same problem.
Everything works fine if I hook up to the charger in ZAP mode.

Anyhow, I added an 0.22 microfarad across +5V and ground simply by sticking it
into the headers on the expansion board and that solved the problem.
Perhaps the expansion board could do with some more filter/decoupling caps?

Anyhow, I guess I'll keep the external power for now.  I just have to find a
place to hold 4 more AA batteries on my robot.  It's tiny.

-Scott Harris.

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Scott Harris writes:
I've got four servos attatched to my expansion board and unless I keep the
charger attatched in ZAP mode, I experience a lot of jittering. Has anyone
else experienced this?  Perhaps the NiCads in my Handyboard are old?

Anyhow, I'm going to sever the connection to the handyboard battery and supply
my own power to the servos.  I'd really prefer, however to keep everything