 Robotics / Handy Board / 726
Re: Traffic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:33:27 GMT

If all the list servers involved are setup correctly, then any
message relayed through the "super list" will still look like it
came directly from the individual list - ie:

From: user@some.domain
To: some.list@some.other.domain
Works great!  The only problem is that if one were subscribed to
several of the individual lists (which I am), one would receive the post
several times (which I do!).  If I unsubscribe from all but one
anticipating all of the "superlist" postings, I would miss all of the
"specialized" postings to individual lists in which I am interested....
Just a realized observation of a "bug" before things get rolling...

Given that the whole idea was for the "super list" to itself be
a subscriber to each of the individual lists, anyone subscribed
only to the super list should receive exactly the message stream
(s)he would by subscribing to each of the compenent lists indi-
vidually - except that a good list server might be able to cull
out duplicates (such as when some one posts to 2 or more of the
component lists).

The question I was answering was about how a subscriber to the
super list could reply to a message posted to a component list
without needlessly spamming all the lists.  If the super list
server is setup correctly, this would be automatic: just do a
group reply (or whatever your MUI (mail user interface) calls it).

Any messages posted directly to the super list would only go
to super list subscribers.  If it is really desired to be able
to have messages posted to a central list go to all member lists,
then a pair of lists can be setup: one to redistribute to the
super list subscribers; the other to fanout out to the member lists.

Ron Wilson
--
"Ready?"
"No. But you may procede anyway."  (Babylon 5 episode 3-1)